I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Pot, Meet Kettle

Talk about a lack of self-awareness:
 NBC's Brian Williams sat down with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) for a piece that will air on "Nightly News" tonight. Per an advance excerpt, Christie criticizes President Obama for something Christie has won praise for: displaying anger.
CHRISTIE: Where I've been most disappointed has been --I really thought he had the opportunity, even though I didn't vote for him, I thought he had the opportunity to be a transformational figure. I thought because of his charisma, because of the way he presented himself to the public and the things he said during the campaign and believed in, that he could in fact go beyond partisanship and where I'm disappointed is, I think he's being incredibly partisan.
That's not say that Republicans haven't been partisan too, because they have but when you're president, your obligation, I think, is to set the tone and to embarrass others into changing theirs.
And I've been disappointed in the real partisan tone of the president has taken, both in terms of his policies and in terms of his rhetoric. And now he seems kind of angry about things when I see him out on the campaign trail. I don't think President Obama does angry well. I don't think it suits him well and so, I've been a little disappointed in that regard. [emphasis mine]
If only Obama would set the correct tone by, say, comparing teachers to drug dealers...

2 comments:

thinker said...

He said "I don't think President Obama does angry well" out loud. In his head, he added "like I do."

And speaking of being the chief executive and setting the tone, what tone exactly is he going for in NJ?

Duke said...

Good observation - I think he feels his little schtick comes off well. For some, it does, but I think it's going to wear thin fast.