I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Friday, April 15, 2011

Pot, Meet Kettle

Today, Governor Christie's spokesman, Michael Drewniak, apologized to an obscure teachers union official for making such a big deal about a joke taken out of context:
Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak said Christie was taking the obscure union official's comments out of context. "That’s a complete contextual distortion," he said, adding that anyone who was "in the room would know that." 
It has been obvious to anyone that Christie's assertion that this official "prayed for my death" has been taken way out of context, as the "prayer" in  question was clearly a joke told in poor taste:
"Dear Lord this year you have taken away my favorite actor, Patrick Swayze, my favorite actress, Farrah Fawcett, my favorite singer, Michael Jackson, and my favorite salesman, Billy Mays. I just wanted to let you know that Chris Christie is my favorite governor."
So kudos to Christie for acknowledging that saying something dumb out of context is not the same as a direct threat...

Oh, wait... hold on...

Sorry, I got this wrong. Drewniak was actually defending Christie for doing exactly what he had a hissy fit about just last year! When Christie said the press should "take the bat" to 76-year-old State Senator Loretta Weinberg, Drewniak ran to his boss's defense:
Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak said Weinberg was taking the governor’s comments out of context. "That’s a complete contextual distortion," he said, adding that anyone who was "in the room would know that."  
[...] 
Drewniak said Stender’s statement was "twisted." 
"It’s a ridiculous and over-the-top distortion to deflect from Senator Weinberg’s pension double-dipping," he said.
You know why Christie gets away with this hypocrisy? Because he can.

No comments: