I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Personal Contribution to NJ's Fiscal Crisis

Took a week off there, folks. Aside form the usual craziness, my son fractured his wrist in two places while playing basketball (stop taking charges!).

Thanks to my "gold-plated" health insurance (the Christie administration's words, not mine), the boy was able to see a doctor the same day and get an x-ray. The orthopedist he saw the day after found the x-ray to be inconclusive; he could have treated him aggressively right away just to be safe, but we decided to get an MRI just in case so we didn't have to put the kid in a cast past his elbow and ruin the rest of his summer.

The MRI revealed a second fracture, however, so that was that - six weeks in a cast up past the elbow, six weeks in a short cast. Well, he should be back in time to have a month to work on his shot before the season starts. I told him this will force him to become a great left-handed dribbler now.

Of course, we should all agree with Chris Christie and Bob Ingle and the rest of the right-wing punditocracy that the fact that my family receives this sort of health care is totally unacceptable, as there are people in the private sector who don't have this level of insurance, and union leeches like myself have had it far too easy for far too long what with being able to get MRIs for our kids and whatnot.

The solution, obviously, is to take away the ability to treat my son at a relatively modest cost to me, as it is clearly ridiculous for anyone to suggest that maybe the wealthiest country in the world could find a way for all of its citizens to get this level of health care coverage, and that maybe the governor should spend less time bashing teachers and cops and unions and more time trying to find ways to get everyone in this state covered with decent health insurance.

Yeah, I'm back - run-on sentences and everything...

No comments: