I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Backpacks For Mail Lists?

B4K, Derrell Badford's corporate "reform" outfit here in Jersey, is giving away backpacks to kids in cities throughout the Garden State.

This is a GOOD thing, and I applaud the program. Times are tough and many families could use help.

I just don't understand why the families have to pre-register and leave their address, phone number, and email address. OK, I know you want to distribute them fairly, but is it really necessary to collect this info for 45,000 children and their families? Especially since there is no guarantee - at least, none that I found - that this information will not be sold or shared with any other group or individual?

If I were cynical, I might even think this was a ploy to build a database to be used for political and other purposes...

I'm shocked! Shocked to be getting corporate reform spam!

Hey, all you have to do, Derrell, is assure us that you aren't building a database, and I'll apologize for thinking the worst.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Interesting update about these backpacks. My husband is a teacher in one of the districts where these backpacks were distributed. He actually helped hand out the backpacks to members of the community. However, it wasn't until the end of the day that they realized inside the backpack was a 4 page piece of anti-teacher propaganda.
These people have no interest in "reforming education." There only interest is to privatize it and turn it into yet another cash cow for their million dollar cronies.