I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Am I missing something here?

To me, the press should at least be asking how Chris Christie can claim the state saves 7.65% in taxes on teacher wage freezes when he doesn't account for the loss of income tax that comes from that same freeze. I mean, I'm just a music teacher, and even I saw the contradiction.

Maybe I'm missing something. But it's a pretty obvious question, isn't it?

So who hasn't asked?

Patricia Alex and Leslie Brody of The Bergen Record

- The Statehouse Bureau Staff at the Star-Ledger

- Beth DeFalco of the AP

- Rita Giordano of the Philadelphia Inquirer

I've tried to contact them all; maybe they'll ask.

Look, I don't want to get all sanctimonious here: reporters don't often get a chance to really think about these things in the heat of an interview or presser. I understand that. But this is not that arcane of a point, and any time a politician tells you he's giving away money and it won't cost a thing, you need to stop and think a little.

Christie, like any powerful leader, needs to answer up to what appear to be flaws in his policies. Who's going to ask?

No comments: