I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Friday, November 30, 2012

Marie Corfield is My Hero

God bless Marie Corfield.
**LD16 ELECTION UPDATE**
Now that the votes in the LD-16 Assembly race have been tallied, I have called Assemblywoman Simon to congratulate her on her victory.

I want to thank my family for their unending support, and all of our supporters, volunteers and dedicated staff. We could not have come so close to winning without your efforts. No matter the challenges we faced, we stood strong together, and I am so grateful for all your help.

Although the election has ended, I can assure you that the fight for middle class families, working families, education funding, and the right for women to make their own healthcare decisions will continue. And I will be here with you to stand up, ensure the issues we fought for are not forgotten, and that we hold our leaders accountable.

Thank you for giving me the honor and the privilege to be your candidate for the New Jersey General Assembly
It's really easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. It's really easy to look at the bad decisions that are being made in this state and in this nation, to look at how our politics have become corrupted, to look at the sad state of the American middle class, and simply shake your head and walk away.

Marie Corfield didn't. This woman - a mother and a working teacher - put her life on hold for a year so she could take on a fight for us. Chris Christie didn't intimidate her, the Republican party didn't intimidate her, hedge fund managers who treat education policy like a hobby didn't intimidate her, Democratic party bosses didn't intimidate her, and the press didn't intimidate her. Marie has more guts than just about anyone I've ever known.

She came very close - painfully close. I can't imagine how much that stings; I can't imagine how that's going to haunt her for a good long while. But I also can't imagine this courageous teacher simply going away. She's too smart, too tough, and too right to not have a big future ahead of her.

No matter what you do, Marie, know that I and many of my fellow teachers will have your back. You are my hero. I am proud to call you a friend, and you make me proud to be a teacher.

A genuine hero.



2 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you, Duke. The feeling is mutual. The work you do is so important because much of the mainstream media—both conservative and liberal—has bought into the ed 'reform' agenda because they just don't bother to do their homework. Leave it to a teacher to do his!

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoZIdY1yPU
speech of marie from election night 2012