I will protect your pensions. Nothing about your pension is going to change when I am governor. - Chris Christie, "An Open Letter to the Teachers of NJ" October, 2009

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Funny?

Bob Ingle thinks that a skit about public employees on SNL was hilarious.

I guess it's all a matter of perception, but it seems to me, from the reaction of the audience, that the whole thing laid an egg. Compare the reaction of the crowd to Tina Fey's last Sarah Palin romp.

Bob says: " Satire always has a grain of truth, that’s why it is funny." Well, no Bob; bad satire has a grain of what the bad satirist thinks is truth, but is really nothing more than ideological posturing.


Case in point: when the woman from Precious plays a bitchy DMV worker in Bob's "hilarious" skit. See, a few months ago, I went to the Springfield DMV to renew my license. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Everyone was very friendly; the lady who took my picture couldn't have been nicer.


Compared with the last time I dealt with my private health insurance company, it was a trip to the spa. Or when Verizon Wireless screwed me over (long story). Or the auto shop...


So, no, there wasn't a ring of truth here. There was a ring of "here's another big media conglomerate trying to shift the blame to people who make mid-five figures a year while while Lloyd Blankfein sells securities he bets against."

No comments: